Saturday, October 9, 2010

A good book


Sam and I just finished reading this book.  I remember the movie from when I was young.  (Yes, I watched some age appropriate shows from time to time.) But I don't ever remember reading the actual book.  Sam was a little hesitant for me to read an actual chapter book without any pictures to look at.
He decided he would give it a chance and two chapters in, he was hooked.
 Sam will often stop me when I read a word he is unsure of and will ask me what it means.  Just like Wilbur does with Charlotte now that I think of it.  Anyway, I read the word adore and Sam quickly asked for the definition, I obliged and we moved on.  When I finished reading for the night I asked Sam if he was enjoying the book and if he wanted to continue the next night.  "Oh, yes! Mommy, I adore this book."

I adored the book too.  So much so I looked up E.B. White to see what else he may have to offer.  I found out he wrote Stuart Little as well.  Looks like that may be our next chapter book.  E.B. White wrote adult books too and he was an essayist. I came across this quote from him about being an essayist that I thought applied to this blogging/facebook world of ours.  
"The essayist is a self-liberated man, sustained by the childish belief that everything he thinks about, everything that happens to him, is of general interest."
I guess the difference between an Essayist and a blogger is that you actually had to be articulate to be an Essayist.  
Here's to the non-discriminatory nature of blogs!





1 comment:

Josh said...

Loved Stuart Little as a kid! Another suggestion:

The Bunnicula series by James Howe.

I love reading and seeing the connection you have with your family. :-) It makes me smile everytime!

PS - The people I know who make an effort to be overly articulate are pretentious windbags and I want nothing to do with them. :-)